Saturday, December 6, 2014



"Before the ice is in the pools,
Before the skaters go,
Or any cheek at nightfall
Is tarnished by the snow,
Before the fields have finished,
Before the Christmas tree,
Wonder upon wonder
Will arrive to me!"
 Emily Dickinson 





Our Christmas tree, AKA, the Little Silver Tree, is up again for yet another holiday season. So, patients have been asking me to write the traditional review: How many wishes came true this year? Did Mary rebuild her house? Did little Ann get her puppy?
Did john pop the big question? Is Leslie in remission....?

The little tree is glowing with pride, it is sparkling with joy, twinkling with renewed excitement. As I was hanging its prized, beloved ornaments I swear I heard it whisper in my ear: "if you wish upon a star.."

So, here it stands all dressed up, but you know when it really glows? When the smiling faces of this year's wisher are reflected on its shiny balls as they bend over it to hang their own wish ornament. I wonder I they hear  it whisper: "yes wishes DO come true".



2 comments:

Julie said...

I hung my first ornament on your tree this past week and made a wish for the new year. Because of you Dr. Urban, I truly believe my wish will come true. Your excitement and enthusiasm when you told me of the tree made me want to be part of its magic. Thank you and I enjoyed reading your blog from the beginning to your most current entry. Please continue to share your wisdom with us.

Dr. Urban said...

Thank you for your kind words. I will continue for as long as the Muse sings through me.