Saturday, December 12, 2015

News and wishes from the Xmas tree



 


 With peace on earth, good will to men.

I had just hanged the last ornament on our office tree when the news about the shooting in California came in. I sat down is shock soon to be replaced by fear and sadness. Oh not again, I thought. Wordsworth's words resounded in my head:

And in despair I bowed my head:
'There is no peace on earth, ' I said
'For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.'

I looked at the tree, all bright and sparkling, through the veil of my tears and I pleaded with it to object, to pull me out of the dark and hopeless place.  It did, after all what kind of magic tree would it be if it hadn't. Wordsworth continued:

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
'God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail, With peace on earth, good will to men.'

In a world where the Youth is disillusioned, God an excuse to act out homicidal rage and Heroes either absent or powerless to inspire and amaze may poetry keep Hope burning bright.

No comments: