Tuesday, March 16, 2010

In memoriam

together as a team we navigated the ineffable horrors of your past and survived. We faced the external prejudice and the internal persecution and we prevailed. What we did not anticipate and took us by surprise, like a storm in a clear day, was the cancer that ravaged your body in the course of just a few months.


We sat at your front porch watching the setting sun paint the lake red, or was it my anger for this awful injustice that colored my vision? You told me that you were at peace with the world and God. Our work, our journey was not for nothing that because of what we had accomplished you were leaving this world a Free Person.


I am thankful to you, Carol, for all you have taught me, for your courage facing life and your dignity meeting death. I am thankful for your humor and laughter, and for your caring.
Good night sweet princess, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

No comments: